M3 reached $126.21B Over the Period Ending June 16, 2022

M3 reached $126.21B Over the Period Ending June 16, 2022

BDL’s latest statistics on money supply revealed that Broad Money (M3) decreased by LBP 316B ($209M) to stand at LBP 190,255B ($126.21B) by the week ending June 16, 2022. However, on an annual basis, M3 retreated by 6.03% year-over-year and by 2.48% since year-start (YTD).

In details, M1 dropped by LBP 60B ($40M) by a week to settle at LBP 55,202B ($36.62B) by June 16, 2022. The contraction is attributed to a decrease in currency in circulation by LBP 17B and in demand deposits by LBP 43B.

In turn, total deposits (excluding Demand deposits) retreated by $169.43M, owing to a decrease in Terms and saving deposits by LBP 84B ($55.72M), and a decline in deposits denominated in foreign currencies by $113M.

As such, the rate of broad money dollarization increased from 61.062% in the week ending June 09, 2022, to 61.074% by the week ending June 16, 2022.

Looking at interest rates, the average rate on deposits in LBP and in USD, at commercial banks, decreased from 1.84% and 0.39% in June 2021 to 0.74% and 0.09%, respectively, in June 2022. In its turn, the average lending rate in LBP and USD, at commercial banks, went down from 7.32% and 6.46% in June 2021 to 5.36% and 5.28%, respectively, in June 2022.

Analytically, the money supply M3 can be derived from combining the balance sheet of BDL with the balance sheet of banks to arrive at the monetary survey of the banking system. The resulting M3 would be equal to the sum of: net foreign assets (NFA), credit to the private sector (CPS), net credit to the public sector (NCPS), and other items net (OIN). Latest data show that in June 2022, M3 stood at $127.17B, 5.20% less than June 2021; NFA were $12.77B, less by 14.69% YOY; CPS was $23.57B, less by 23.03% YOY; NCPS was $28.96B, less by 21.39% annually; and OIN were $61.85B, higher by an annual 19.66%, and comprising mostly (in BDL’s terminology) other assets which include open market operations and seigniorage, considered to be a controversial account by some.

In its treasury bills (T-Bills) auction dating June 16, 2022, the Ministry of Finance (MoF) raised LBP 204.608B ($135.72M) through the issuance of T-Bills maturing in 6 months (6M) and notes maturing in 3 years (3Y). A higher demand was recorded on the 6 months T-bills which grasped 97.74% of total subscriptions, while the 3 years notes accounted for the remaining shares of 2.26%. In more details, the yield on 6 months stood at 4%, while the coupon on the 3 years (3Y) reached 5.50%.


Source: BDL; MoF

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *