M3 reached $130.22B Over the Period Ending February 10, 2022

BDL’s latest statistics on money supply revealed that Broad Money (M3) decreased by LBP 511B to stand at LBP 196,299B ($130.22B) by the week ending February 10, 2022. As such, on an annual basis, M3 retreated by 2.68% year over year and by 1.48% since year-start (YTD).

In details, M1 dropped by LBP 386B ($256M) by a week to settle at LBP 55,096B ($36.55B) by February 10, 2022. The contraction is attributed to the increase in demand deposits by LBP 370B and drop in currency in circulation by LBP 756B.

In turn, total deposits (excluding Demand deposits) decreased by $83.15M, owing to a decrease in Terms and saving deposits by LBP 140B ($92.87M). In the same token, deposits denominated in foreign currencies expanded by $9M.

As such, the rate of broad money dollarization increased from 61.3% in the week ending to February 03, 2022, 61.46% by the week ending February 10, 2022.

Looking at interest rates, the average rate on deposits in LBP and in USD, at commercial banks, decreased from 2.31% and 0.8% in January 2021 to 1.03% and 0.21%, respectively, in January 2022. In its turn, the average lending rate in LBP and USD, at commercial banks, went down from 8.53% and 6.52% in January 2022 to 6.4% and 6.15%, respectively, in January 2021.

Analytically, the money supply M3 can be derived from combining the balance sheet of BDL with the balance sheet of banks to arrive at the monetary survey of the banking system. The resulting M3 would be equal to the sum of: net foreign assets (NFA), credit to the private sector (CPS), net credit to the public sector (NCPS), and other items net (OIN). Latest data show that in January 2022, M3 stood at $130.67, 2.01% less than January 2021; NFA were $14.79B, less by 14.28% YOY; CPS was $26.29B, less by 22.84% YOY; NCPS was $32.59B, less by 18.16% annually; and OIN were $56.99B, higher by an annual 35.07%, and comprising mostly (in BDL’s terminology) other assets which include open market operations and seigniorage, considered to be a controversial account by some.

In its treasury bills (T-Bills) auction dating February 10, 2022, the Ministry of Finance (MoF) raised LBP 528.18B ($350.37M) through the issuance of T-Bills maturing in 6 months (6M), and notes maturing in 10 years. The highest demand was recorded on the 10 year notes which grasped 79.06% of total subscriptions, while the 6M T-bills accounted for the remaining shares of 20.94%. In details, the yield on 6M T-bills stood at 4%. Meanwhile coupon on the 10Y notes stood at 7%.

Source: BDL; MoF

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *